Had hit on forehead. Blood poured from nostril for about 20 minutes. Any advice?

Night before last my father in law age 70 fell hitting the right side of his forehead on the ground. Blood poured from his right nostril for about 20 minutes before stopping. He has no other known symptoms, didn't lose consciousness and hasn't been dizzy. I advised him to see a doctor but he's stubborn and believes he's ok. Any advice?
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 10 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I would be answering your question.

Some of the danger signs following head injury that warrants immediate medical attention are -

1. Loss of consciousness

2. Seizures

3. Persistent vomiting

4. Headache

5. Bleeding from nose and ears.

Since he had bleeding from nose, it is prudent to get medical attention though there are no other danger signs and he is ok now.

Though bleeding from the nose following a fall could be due to a local injury in the nose also, a more serious injury to the base of skull can also cause it. So convince him to get medical attention at the earliest.

I hope that answers your question.

If you have no more questions, kindly accept the answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini