Had hit on eardrum. No bleeding occurred, feeling sensitive. Should I go for medical check up?

Question
I hit my eardrum with a qtip last night before bed. There was no blood so I figured it would feel better this morning. It is still extremely sensitive. Do I need to see a doctor?
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 37 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

Though there was no blood, but it is extremely sensitive. It means it is inflamed.

Otoscopic examination is required to know amount of injury caused by qtip.

Thus you are advised to consult an E.N.T.Specialist, so that he can assess the injury and can diagnose/confirm cause of inflammation, and can prescribe treatment accordingly.

Further, it is not safe to try cleaning of external ear at home. When ever there is problem with ear, you should always visit ENT Specialist.

If you have further query, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Had hit on eardrum. No bleeding occurred, feeling sensitive. Should I go for medical check up? 24 minutes later
Thank you for the information. I often have itchy and aching ears. I've gone to three different ENTs because it is extremely uncomfortable, but each doctor has said my ears look fine. Which, is why I started cleaning them with hydrogen peroxide via qtip. Is the hydrogen peroxide safe to use?

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 6 hours later

Welcome again,

If external ear is healthy and there is no perforation in eardrum, Hydrogen peroxide is generally safe, but it is not meant for routine use.

When your ear is fine(clean), there is no use of Hydrogen peroxide. It can increase itching.

Whenever your ear is itchy, you can use Mycobiotic ear drops.

For earache, you should consult ENT Specialist.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Had hit on eardrum. No bleeding occurred, feeling sensitive. Should I go for medical check up? 2 hours later
I do plan on seeing a doctor on Friday. I was wondering, if there is no extensive damage, as the absence of blood would suggest, how long should my ear remain sore/inflamed, and is there anything I can do to relieve the pain?

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 52 minutes later

Welcome again,

Extensive damage is not expected in your case.

Meanwhile, if available, you can take antibiotic like doxycycline/oflomac-oz twice daily, anti-inflammatory (Ibuprofen-400 thrice daily) orally with food and Mycobiotic ear drops locally thrice daily. Oflomac-oz is contraindicated during pregnancy.

If pain is due to mild injury only and there is no infection, it is expected to subside slowly without treatment also. You should not try to clean it again.

With good wishes,

Follow-up: Had hit on eardrum. No bleeding occurred, feeling sensitive. Should I go for medical check up? 32 minutes later
Thanks so much. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Most sincerely,

XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 11 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX

Welcome again,

If you don't require further clarification, please accept answer, rate it & can write a review as per your satisfaction. Thanks,

Wish you speedy recovery,