Had hit on big toe. Hurts while moving. What can i do to heal it? What will make it feel better?

Question
     my left toe40 5foot 2 140lbs. i was wearing my flip flops and stubbed my big toe and now it hurts wen i try and move it it really hurts on the bottom of my foot under the big toe the bone. ive tried moving it and stretching it and its getting worse. wat can i do to heal it?? what will make it feel better?
Posted Tue, 14 Aug 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 8 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

It would be difficult to predict the severity of injury and whether or not you have a fracture without X-ray.

Currently I would suggest you to apply ice on the affected area and take some anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen 400mg. The medication can be repeated every 12 hourly. Avoid manipulating the affected toe - it can worsen the condition.

Plan to visit your local doctor or ER to get X-ray and rule out fractures.

Additional supports would be required in case of fracture; else you should be fine in the next 3-5 days.

I hope I have answered your query. In case of doubt, I shall be happy to help you.

Best regards,
Dr. Neelam

Follow-up: Had hit on big toe. Hurts while moving. What can i do to heal it? What will make it feel better? 22 hours later
what if it is fractured? what would the dr do? i have a shoe brace w the 2 velcro straps should i tape my toes tpgether and wear that sp i cant bend my toes??

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 2 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

If the bone is fractured, management will depend upon the severity and extent of fracture.
If it is just hairline fracture, strapping is done to two toes with small cotton/bandage between.
A cast (or surgery) may be needed if the big toe is broken, a fracture involves a joint, several small toe fractures occur at once, or if a bone in the foot or leg is broken in addition to the toe.

I will not recommend you to use shoe brace which you have, unless you get X-ray done. This is because now you can not bend your toes.
Wrong manipulation can worsen the fracture segment.
I hope this information helps you. Feel free to revert back in case of any doubt.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.a

Follow-up: Had hit on big toe. Hurts while moving. What can i do to heal it? What will make it feel better? 3 days later
i dont have insurance so im trying to figure out what i can do to heal it at home. i tried moving it back and forth and it pops. it gets worse if i walk on it all day and at the end of the night it hurts. ive tried moving it and stretching it thinking it would help it but it just irritates it. its not swollen or bruised. wat can i do. what would u do if u didnt xray it? im a single,divorced mom of 3 my husband had an affair on me so now i dont have insurance. i need help.

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 12 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
Considering the circumstances, let us try few steps if X-ray is not possible.

1] Take rest for 5-7 days with minimal stress on affected toe. Try applying ice 2-3 time on affected toe.

2] We will now consider it as hairline fracture, so we can try buddy taping. Strap the affected toe to adjacent finger keeping cotton in between. It provides support to affected toe.

3] Take anti-inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen/aceclofenac two times a day for pain relief.

With above measures, if trauma has caused simple damage ; it will heal.

If you experience- numbness or increased pain at toe/ if skin of affected toe becomes bluish ,please consult orthopeditian.

I hope I have answered your doubt.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.

Follow-up: Had hit on big toe. Hurts while moving. What can i do to heal it? What will make it feel better? 40 hours later
how long should I keep it taped together?? what do i do wen i untape it? move it slowly? walk on it? wat shoes r the best to wear during and after? thanks

Answered by Dr. Neelam Ashish Vanjari 7 hours later

Your injured toe may need to be buddy-taped for 2 to 4 weeks to heal. If your injured toe hurts more after buddy taping it, remove the tape.

You can get an idea regarding how long to keep by pain-free movement of toe.

Even you have buddy-taped toe, you can walk normally but take care you do not put extra stress on toe and walk slowly.

You can use such shoe that it covers toes and is comfortable. No specific type is required. Once your toe heals completely , you can use any other type depending on comfort.

I hope this information helps you.
Best regards,
Dr. Neelam.