Had hit and felt pressure on the bum and back. What can I do to make my back better?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Question
Hi, i recently went on holiday and thought it would be a good idea to jump from rocks into the sea (about 15 meters hight). On landing i landed on my bum and legs and felt pressure on the bum and back as soon as i hit the water. Ever since my coccyx and whole back up the my neck have been really hurting me. Sometimes i can only feel the pain when i start running or when i first wake in the morning but my lower back is where i feel the most pain when i am running. What can i do to make my back better?
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Yes , you most probably have injured your sacral/ coccyx bone causing XXXXXXX inflammation ( swelling ) causing the pain . Since the spinal cord is associated with it the pain may spread along to the region supplied by adjacent spinal nerves even up to the neck .
The best next step would be to first consult an orthopedic surgeon and get an MRI spine along with lumbosacral X-rays done . This can confirm the severity and exact nature of the injury so that treatment can proceed accordingly .
Temporary measures to relieve the pain would be antiinflammatory analgesics like acetaminophen , ibuprofen etc .
But physiotherapy would be most useful to completely resolve the pain.
Your surgeon can refer you to a physiotherapist and advise the appropriate treatment & immobilization ( if needed as per examination findings).
Please do not worry , most of such injuries respond well to physiotherapy however it may take about 4-6 weeks to completely resolve.
Hope I have answered your query.
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Had hit and felt pressure on the bum and back. What can I do to make my back better? 22 hours later
Thank you this helps a lot.
Is there anything else i can do like hot baths or icing my back to speed up the recovery?
Also I do a lot of running, do you suggest I completely rest or will steady runs not make the injury any worse?

Thanks

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 13 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes when there is a swelling icing the back may help in recovery, however if there is none then hot baths are recommended . It would be advisable to refrain from running for atleast 4 weeks to allow healing . If you must then first get yourself evaluated by your physiotherapist who can assess the muscle groups involved in the injury and whether there is a significant risk of worsening it after running .
According to me , rest and routine activities are allowed and won't worsen it .
But a lot of running can put a pressure on the lower back thereby increasing the risk of further damage .
So , you can carry about your routine activities , exercise as per doctors / physiotherapists guidance and take warm compresses / sitz baths in case there is no visible swelling .
Hope I have answered your query.
Wishing you a speedy recovery.