Had hip replacement done. Having groin pain. Found pneumonia after X-ray. Proper diagnosis?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi I had a hip replacement on dec.10th and was recovering well until a couple of weeks ago. I was having night sweats and pain in my quad. I went to my orthopedic surgeon and he took an X-ray which showed my hip replacement was fine. He gave me a cortisone injection in my bursa in case it was bursitis. It helped about 24 hrs later. I have benn feeling run down ever since and two nights ago I was admitted to the hospital with a temp of 104.7 after tests and a chest X-ray they found that I had pneumonia. I have been on a regiment of Tylenol and Motrin for the fever and inflamation and levofloxicin for the infection. However, after I came home from the hospital, I woke up to find that I had excruciating pain in the groin area of my opposite leg that radiated down behind my knee. I had a hip replacement on this leg 12 years ago and have never had any pain until recently. I can not put any weight on this leg to walk and I can not lift my leg in any position without severe pain in what feels like the muscle tissue of my groin. What could be causing this? My reg Dr. Does not get ack until Mon. And I have an appointment at that time. I'm not sure I can wait. I am now taking the oxycodone 5/325, two at a time instead of Tylenol for pain and it is not working.
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

Excruciating groin pain after 12 year hip replacement might be due to loosening of components or due to osteolysis.These are most serious long-term complications of total hip arthroplasty and the most common indications for revision.

Loosening usually produces pain on weight bearing, which may be present in the thigh or groin. So-called start-up pain refers to pain that is worst with the first few steps and improves to some degree with further ambulation. This pain suggests a loose implant that moves but settles into a relatively stable position with weight bearing. Usually the pain is relieved by rest and aggravated by rotation of the hip.

I suggest you to consult your orthopaedician for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance for exact diagnosis and treatment plan according to that. Meanwhile you can continue taking oxycodone for pain relief.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.