Had hip replacement and found a lump inside left buttock. What could it be?

Jul 2013

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
In May I had a left hip replacement. Ever since then I got a lump inside my left buttocks. It is the size of a golf ball and really bothers me when I sit. Sometimes it moves to the left hip on the outer side. Not outside the skin but inside on the outside hip. I have asked the Dr's assistant about this but she just says she doesn't know what it could be. I am getting worried because it is now November and its still there. December 3rd I am going to have the right hip replaced. I need a Dr to see this but I dont know what kind of Dr. to see. Help me please.
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. K. Naga Ravi Prasad 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: You should visit an Orthopedic surgeon. Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing to XXXXXXX Based upon the description of your symptoms, it could be either a LIPOMA (fat deposit) or an ORGANISED HEMATOMA (encapsulated blood clot). An ULTRASOUND EXAMINATION of the involved area or an MRI scan will establish the nature and extent of the swelling. As you have had the swelling after the total hip replacement surgery, I suggest you to consult an Orthopedic surgeon (preferably a Joint replacement surgeon) for a detailed examination, workup and further management depending upon the nature of the swelling. Hope I have addressed your query. Happy to help further Regards