Had hip replacement. Fell on the stone floor. Hurt temple. No headache. Have little nausea. Something needs to be checked?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I had right full hip replacement in Feb 2013. My left hip will need replacement as well. I am a 55 year old female, 5'8, 140lbs. Last night I was locking up the house, and have a step down, 2 stairs. My left hip seemed to be unsteady as I went to step down and fell on my left side. I apparently was knocked out for about 3 minutes, and called for my son to pick me up. I fell on a stone floor and hit just next to the temple by the eyebrow. I put ice on it last night and still have a good size lump. No headache. Pain in my left arm from the shoulder to the forearm, able to move it with some pain, and a large bruise on my left thigh. Had a little nausea, pupils look fine. Is this something I need to have checked? I figured if I didn't have a headache once the initial shock wore off, and it's just tender to the touch that I didn't need to go to the ER. Should I be concerned. Thank you
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You do not need to go to the ER.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
You have taken quite a fall and will have pain in a number of places. You have suffered some concussion indicated by you being knocked out for a few minutes. However, if you are now fully alert and you are able to compose this query on your computer, I would consider this is not a serious head injury. You do not need an MRI and an X-ray is usually not helpful in these situations. If your mental state changes then this would be a cause to go to the ER.
Regarding your other injuries, if you can bear weight on your left hip and leg then your hip is unlikely to be any more than badly bruised. If you find that you are unable to walk without severe pain, then this would be a reason to go to the ER.
The pain in your shoulder to forearm is also unlikely to indicate a severe injury such as a fracture. You would most probably be unable to move without very severe pain if there was a fracture.
Even though you are on pain meds, the pain of a fracture would break through.
My suggestion would be to stay at home and rest. Take your usual pain meds. Keep moving your bruised joints gently so they do not stiffen up. You are likely to be bruised for a week or more.
I hope this has helped you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
Follow-up: Had hip replacement. Fell on the stone floor. Hurt temple. No headache. Have little nausea. Something needs to be checked? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. Pottinger,

I didn't think I needed to go, but my kids and sister were concerned. Having had my hip replacement, I know that kind of pain? there is no pain medication for that and figured nothing was fractured, there was just more concern because of the lump on my head. I had called my doctors office and he thought I should maybe go to the ER, and I was hoping he would just fax over a referral for an X XXXXXXX Besides a $150 co payment, and the cost the hospital would charge my insurance, believe me, I have enough medical bills, that if something was wrong I would know it. Having all these auto immune disorders, something we never think about, being well and loving our jobs, to all of a sudden at 55 be unable to do anything is not what we anticipate as we age. I am currently on LTD, and am applying for SSD, something I didn't want to do. I was a very successful sales rep for the largest cable company in the US, top sales rep for 3 years in the country, and in the top 5 for 15 years, so all of a sudden getting your pay cut such as mine....I am not happy about it, but as an outside B2B business sales rep, I can no longer wear high heels or walk a city block, those days are over and it happened in a span of just a couple of years. But I am hoping with the right medications that the RA doctor, and my OA surgeon, I will eventually get into remission, my hip will heal, and maybe I will be able to return one day. Leaving a company after 18 years without wanting to due to health issues is a sad time for me and I am struggling not to be depressed, so the thought of here we go again, something else to add to the mix by falling wasn't something I even wanted to deal with, which is why I didn't run to the ER. It seems as much as I've had going on that I would know if there was something....wrong. I am by no means a medical expert, but I knew something was going on besides menopause, which is when I found I had Graves, Adrenal mass, your body tells you when there is something. I am not a person to want to ride the so called system and struggled for the past 4 years not to go out, but the body won out, so now? I am listening to the doctors and trying to better my health in order to be around a bit longer. We take for granted our good years, and never anticipate that we could actually get sick and old, it happens too quickly. I signed up for a membership, and appreciate your time and reply, the confirmation makes me feel better that I didn't rush to the ER. And rest? that's all I get, and I do rehabilitation at home, I am determined to get a life back which is why I refuse to get depression. You do not need to reply, I just wanted to thank you.

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A positive attitude will help.

Detailed Answer:
I note that you mentioned that I did not need to reply. However, I just wanted to say that you seem to have a very positive attitude despite your unfortunate health problems over recent years. This approach will help you in the long term I'm sure.
I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery and good health in the future.
Dr K A Pottinger