Had high blood sugar level, came down after taking janumet & with diet control. Now prescribed galvus & stop janumet. Right medication?

I was diagnosed with diabetes 1 month back with random sugar level of 280. Doctor prescribed Janumet 50/500 once a day with lunch. Since then my sugar levels have consistently come down after I started exercise and diet control. In the last checkup 2 days back, my fasting level is 100 and post lunch level (after having taking medicine) is 105.

When I met a doctor yesterday, he said since the sugar level has come down, we will reduce the medicine. So he prescribed Galvus 50mg once daily with breakfast and asked me to discontinue Janumet and take this new medicine.

I understand from internet search that Galvus is usually not taken in monotherapy. I have the following question:

Is the prescription of Galvus 50mg correct looking at my sugar level which is 100(F)/105 (PP) or should I be taking Metformin based medicine with reduced dosage?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 3 hours later
Either of the treatment options are fine. But as you have already stated, combination therapy should always be preferable. Metformin takes care of insulin resistance which is an integral part of type 2 diabetes management. Both sitagliptin ( the drug in GAlvus) or metformin usually don’t cause hypoglycemia by themselves.
I hope I have answered your query.
Wish you good health.

Dr Amit Rajput
Follow-up: Had high blood sugar level, came down after taking janumet & with diet control. Now prescribed galvus & stop janumet. Right medication? 39 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. However, my question is I was taking Janumet 50/500 once a day and since the reduction of sugar levels, doctor has prescribed Galvus 50mg once a day.

Is this change of prescription correct in view of my reduced sugar levels?
Answered by Dr. Amit Rajput 46 minutes later
Hello again,

Oral hypoglycemic drug have been prescribed based on experts individual preferences. And now since the sugar has reduced, your doctor has decided to try you on monotherapy. You will still benefit from this regimen.

However, if I were to be your treating doctor; I would have stuck to the previous dual therapy regimen ‘Janumet’ as this helps in better control of sugars on the long run and it rarely cause hypoglycemic events. So your sugars won't dip lower.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. Let me know if I have missed out on any concerns.

Wish you good health