Had herpes symptoms. Experiencing itching in anus area. Can I have safe sex?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
i had herpes symptoms 2 times for last 3 years. first outbreak was for a month. after 12 months i had my 2nd outbreak lasted for 10 days . after 19 months now im having outbreak but it is now for almost 2 months. it heals in 10 days and comes back again .. before the symptoms i had pinworms and now im experiencing itching in my anus area. but took medicine for dat. my question is why is my outbreak lasting for two months. is affected by pinworms is the reason for it. about herpes can i have safe sex without protection and not to transmit the virus to my wife. by having sex when i dont have symptoms or itching. and is it possible to get my wife pregnant without affecting her and my child
Posted Fri, 11 Oct 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Use protection to prevent infection

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for posting your to XXXXXXX

I can understand your concern for the herpes in yourself and prevention of the same in your wife and future child too.

Now regarding your first query that your herpes part recurred again in 2 months. Before that it took almost 19 months. To tell you medically the recurrence always depends on the immunity of a person.

For any type of infection including herpes our body has got immunity to it. Only those persons who have low immunity at the time of contact with virus, catch the infections and manifest it clinically. In between even if the infection is present, our immunity keeps it suppressed from developing the disease as well as infection to others too. So whenever there is good immunity it is not practically possible for herpes virus to manifest clinically. In yourself also whenever there will be downwards shift to immunity- there would be herpes blisters.

For the low immunity - this can be due to any other infection going on in the body, stress or excess of fatigue or multiple of other usual reasons which can alter immune status. In yourself pinworms infection is though unlikely but can cause low immunity if you have had bit stress regarding that. I have seen in my clinical practice that healthy people may get herpes even 2-3 times in month. So you have a good part of immunity as the infection recurred after long period of time.

Now for prevention of infection in wife as well as future child- The most important part is to have unprotected intercourse only when you are planning a baby. This can be done near the 14th day of the menstrual cycle. Rest of the time you try to use protection in form of condoms. If your wife is not infected then your future child also can not have the infection (as it always passed form mother to child).

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia
MD (Dermatology and Sexually Transmitted Diseases)

Follow-up: Had herpes symptoms. Experiencing itching in anus area. Can I have safe sex? 1 hour later
i have been taking accyclovir oinment for treatment. is it well enough for herppes. as u say about the immunity level, can u advice r give me tips for maintaining gud immunity level.
i have heared a pregnant lady can transmit virus to the baby during child birth if the outbreaks are present. so a cesarian is made. is dat true. so in dat case the child is free from herpes. wat r the other possibilities for the new baby to get affected.
is it not possible to have unprotected sex when i dont have any iinfections or infection.

hi can i have sex without protection when i dont show any infection r itching and when everything is normal.. also im still not ready to discuss abt my problem to my fiancee. is there any possibilities i can avoid telling her abt this.. need ur advice.. pls help

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do not worry herpes is asimple infection

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to the forum again.

Before discussing anything else let me first reassure you young man that herpes is one of the simplest infection which any human being has got. It is just like common cold and not at all anything serious related to it. I somehow feel that you have a great stress regarding herpes. So before you read and think anything else I humbly request you to come out of the negative aura of the problem. Till the time you have any negative feeling about the problem you will start thinking one or the other things related to it. The only problem is recurrence and nothing else. I have never seen any couple with herpes having any major issues in relation or with child in my own clinical practice. So just relax first!!!

First of all regarding applying acyclovir ointment is a fair mode of treatment. I recommend my patients to be vigilant regarding recurrence. Before each episode there is a warning sign of itching, burning and discomfort at the local site which tells us about possibility of herpes. At this time you can apply the ointment for 4-5 times a day.

For maintaining good immunity- maintain good hygiene, do daily exercises, eat healthy food, stop any substance abuse like smoking or alcohol and avoid stressful activities and stress too. There is no any medicine to improve immunity it all depends on your life style!!

Regarding child birth- yes we do recommend the mother to go for caesarian section to prevent the infection to new born because it is most commonly spread to the baby by vaginal route. Rest of the part there is no other possibility majorly in new born to catch the infection from the mother.

Alright regarding sex without protection, I personally opine you to avoid that. Though at the time of clinically free period from symptoms we have bit less tendency to shed viruses and thus less chances of infection but not 100% surety of non infectious status to the partner. We always recommend to use protection for the best of prevention.

Now for the part of discussing the problem with your fiancee- is totally dependent on your relation status. If I would had been in your situation then if she is understandable and intellectual enough to understand the situation then I would have discussed the problem with her. It all depends on how much you two rely on each other. Herpes is never a sexually transmitted disease alone and there are so many modes of infection. So you can take your decision accordingly.

Lastly I again opine you to first you yourself understand the simplicity of the problem and then once you are convinced enough then can discuss the problem with your fiancee too!!

I hope these information's will help you. If you have further queries I will be happy to help or if you do not then can close the discussion and rate the answer.

"Wish you good health"

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia