Had herniated disc surgery, taken cortisone injections. Back and shoulder pain, painful breathing. Could this be another disc issue?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a 34 year old female with a history of C5-6 ACDF surgery (herniated disc), and cortisone injections in C4-5 and C6-7 (pain but no major herniations). Recently (2 weeks ago) I developed burning pain in my upper back and shoulder (right side), it hurts when I turn my neck to the right side, and it hurts when I breathe in and out. Could this be another disc issue?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
A burning pain in the upper back and shoulder is likely to be due to nerve root compression at the cervical vertebral level. The other cause could be a pulled muscle or a muscle sprain in the neck region. Abnormal neck positions, using a thick pillow, working on computer for long hours may also lead to such symptoms.
You need a physical examination by your orthopedician and if necessary investigations like MRI of neck to find out the exact cause.
Meanwhile doing a hot fomentation and applying a local analgesic gel in the area will be helpful.
Pain killers, muscle relaxants and methylcobalamin supplements will help in controlling the acute symptoms. You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your treating doctor.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.