Had hernia surgery in the groin area. Pain after the surgery due to strain in the scar. Any other way of healing it faster?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hello sir or madam
About 14 months ago i had hernia op on my left lower abs muscle near my groin. 9 months after the op pain was coming back from where i was operated, so i went to see a doctor and he said i strained the scar tussie. My left lower ab would have spams but the pain wasnt to bad only when i worked. So i give it rest and it went back to normal but now it has come back againn after 14 months from the operation.
I am a carpenter by trade so my job can involve straining and working hard. The pain seems to be where the mesh is but it looks like i have strained it again so i am off work again, giving it some rest again. If after two weeks and it hasnt gone the pain im going in for a scan. The pain isnt to bad but it always feels very tight where the scar is.
Is there any ways of healing this like yoga or hot and cold treatment.
Posted Mon, 18 Jun 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 3 hours later

Thanks for posting detailed account of your problem.

As far as treating the pain is concerned, there is no way by which yoga or heat treatment can give relief.

The cause of the pain syndrome that you are suffering from is called "entrapment neuropathy". In this condition there is an entrapment of the local nerves either by scar tissue or a suture. As a result the patient experiences intermittent spasms or paroxysms of pain.

The treatment comprises of either conservative methods or finally surgery.

Conservative methods include neurotropic pain killers like gabapentin or nerve blocks. Your local physician can prescribe these drugs to you after his/her assessment. Surgery which is the last resort comprises of local exploration to free the nerves.

I hope that my explanation provides you a road map for further course of treatment. Let me know if you need any more help.

With Regards
Follow-up: Had hernia surgery in the groin area. Pain after the surgery due to strain in the scar. Any other way of healing it faster? 31 minutes later
hello thanks for your feed back. The pain isnt to bad it never has and the spasms never happen now. It came back from when i was doing heavy lift at work and going to the gym and that wasnt painful it just felt uncomfortable like i was wear very tight pants. I hope i am explaining myself clearly
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 10 minutes later

If the pain is tolerable then it should respond to mild analgesics intermittently. I would specifically suggest neurotropic vitamin preparations for at least 12 weeks until fibrosis is complete.

Strictly avoid hectic physical activity until the pain disappears completely. That will give you relief.

Another rare possibility could be, the mesh being shifted from the site of fixation (hernia repair) causing impingement of nerves and hence the pain.

There could be a XXXXXXX recurrence of the hernia as well.

A good clinical examination for impulse on cough will be best to identify this.

It is better to get it examined by your treating doctor again.

Please do write back in case you have doubts.