Had heart attack, suggested Stem Cell replacement therapy. Is it worth?

Cardiologist, Interventional
Question
I AM 60 YEARS OLD AND I HAD A HEART ATTCK 7 WEEK AGO, MYM DOCTOR WANTS ME TO DO STEM CELL REPLACMENT THERAPY WITH MY OWE CELLS . IT COST ALMOST $10,000 .is it worth it.
I guess it's a moot point but I did it already they said they got 130,000,000 stem cells ,is that possible,and what do they do once they put them back in my blood streem?
Posted Wed, 9 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
STEM cell therapy is still mostly experimental

Detailed Answer:
STEM cell therapy is still mostly experimental and done mostly as part of clinical trial or as off label indication on compassionate grounds. It does help few patients after heart attack especially if the attack has weakened the heart significantly.

It does have its own problems such as arrythmia.

About the cost, yes techonology is expensive and it does cost money. But worth is always relative and depends on kind of benefit you achieve which unfortunately will be known after the results of treatment.

Hope this helps. Write back if you have other enquiries.