Had heart attack and stent was placed in his carotic artery. Had trouble sleeping due to breathing problem

My 67 year old dad had a heart attack 1 week ago. Yesterday he was submited to a cardiac catheter and a stent was placed in his carotic artery. Last night he had trouble sleeping because as soon as he went to sleep he lost his breath. Every time this happened he felt asfixiated. How can we improve this?
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of sleep apnea

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcare Magic,

From the description of your clinical symptoms, I suspect the possibility of sleep apnea. This condition is characterised by pauses in breathing or instances of shallow or infrequent breathing during sleep. Each pause in breathing, called an apnea, can last from at least ten seconds to minutes, and may occur 5 to 30 times or more an hour.

So I suggest you to consult a pulmonologist/cardiologist for further opinion.