Had headache in left backside of head. What could this be?

Hi Doc,
Today while working, I had a headache in my left backside of head.
And there have past 6 hours what could it be ?

Please Help Me
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 29 minutes later

Thank you for writing in.

You had sudden onset of headache in left back side of head of 6 hours duration.

There are many causes of localized headache .They are vascular headache most common( type of migraine), tension type headache, sometimes associated with left neck pain can produce such headache,muscle sprain,post trauma ,last is to rule out left sided occipital structure lesion.

Based on detail history one can help you further to know the cause of headache.

Whether this is the first headache you had ever? Throbbing or non throbbing in nature?, any neck pain? any recent hit or injury? any other associated neurological symptoms like visual disturbance ,double vision etc, any sleep deprivation?

I suggest you to consult neurolgist for clinical examination, fundus examination and further plan.You may require CT scan brain to rule out structural lesion.

Meantime you can have naprosyn tablet for headache, take rest have plenty of fluids.If headache persists with naprosyn then rizatryptan is needed.Discuss with neurologist for presription and aforementioned tests.

Hope this answers your query

Follow-up: Had headache in left backside of head. What could this be? 2 minutes later
ok thnx doc for answering now everything is ok it could be from cold
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 5 minutes later

Now you are doing fine .Cold itself cannot produce localized headache.If you have repeated cough then muscle sprain (neck muscles) can produce referred pain and such headache.

Please get back if you require any additional clarification.

Follow-up: Had headache in left backside of head. What could this be? 6 minutes later
so it can't be from cold huh maybe from.stress because I have too much stress in my mind maybe huh and it could be from gathering of muscle huh?
Answered by Dr. Sandhya Manorenj 9 minutes later

Ya it can be related to stress ( tension type headache).In addition to above mentioned drugs you can do neck relaxation exercise that will reduce tension in muscles and will help you further.Take rest.

Have, cetrizine at bed time for relief of cold .If you have any quires you can consult me again or if you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate my answer. Wish you good health.

Dr Sandhya Manorenj
Hyderabad India