Had hair fall problem after delivery, allergic to mosquito bites, knee pains and nail peeling. Advise?

Hi Doc, I am 33 yrs old and have a 3 yr old daughter. I have noticed that after delivery, i had major hairfall problems plus i started getting allergic to mosquito bites i have marks all over my hands and legs. Periods have become very painful, and have started getting pain in my knees. Recently my nails have started peeling. Even if i cut it short it keeps peeling like paper. Couple of friends suggested me to take Seacod. Wanted to know if I should? And is it advisable to give it to my daughter too?
Posted Sun, 30 Jun 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. R.G. Joshi 45 minutes later

Thanks for writing to health care magic.

Hair fall is common after delivery and it usually reverts back within 6 months. Since you are having hair fall even after 3 years,it could be associated with some underlying cause.

Common causes for hair loss in female of your age includes iron and vitamin deficiency,thyroid related problems etc.

Nail peeling and painful periods suggest iron and vitamin deficiency. You need to take tablets containing biotin(hair vitamin) and iron and folic acid for 2 to 3 months.You will need a prescription for it.

There are blood test available which will rule out thyroid related problems.You can discuss it with your doctor.

Seacod contains cod liver oil which is XXXXXXX in vitamin A and is good for skin and eyes ,but does not seems to be helpful in hair fall. There is no need to give these tablets to your daughter.Just give her routine healthy diet.

Allergy to mosquito bites is due to sensitive skin. Antihistaminc tablets like cetrizine can be helpful. You can also apply steroid cream like mometasone over affected area. Aply some mosquito repellent cream at day time to prevent mosquito bites.

I hope this can solve your query.In case you have any concerns i will be happy to help you.Take care.