Had gestational diabetes and blood pressure during pregnancy. Suggest diet chart to reduce weight

Dietitian & Nutritionist
Hi doctor,

I delivered a baby 7 months ago.During pregnancy, i had gestation diabetes and Blood Pressure.My sugar levels are back to normal but BP is persisting post delivery.My weigh is still not under control( 85kgs).I would need your advise on personalised diet chart for reducing my weight and BP.
Posted Thu, 11 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Grace Abraham 24 hours later

Thanks for your Query

Sodium is the basic ingredient that needs to be restricted in a hypertensive patient. Apart from the salt, sodium is available in various other food forms. Sodium bicarbonate ( soda ) used in idli, dosa batter, preservatives used in all processed foods , readymade foods, pickles, pappads, sauces, ketchups, oily fried foods and packed fruit and vegetable juices are few examples. Restrict them.
Try to use low sodium salt in cooking and no extra salt on table. Go in only for low sodium products which are easily available in the markets. In addition to the above restriction, daily walking and avoiding too much of stress also help in the control of blood pressure values.

In order to reduce weight, your diet should be high in fiber and low in fat. Choose complex carbohydrates like wheat, ragi, jowar which are high in fiber can be used rather than using rice and refined flours. Take fruits as whole instead of taking it in the form of juices. Use at least two servings of vegetables daily; restrict root vegetables as it is high in simple sugars. Choose steaming or cooking in pressure which helps to retain the nutrients and there is not much oil used too.

Recommended oil is half litre per person per month. Avoid using saturated fats like ghee, butter, and full fat salad dressings like mayo sauce. Use sprouted grams as it is a good source of fiber and include XXXXXXX leafy vegetables at least twice in a week. Use skimmed or low fat milk and milk products as it will reduce the fat content in the diet and choose low fat products like soy milk which is high in protein and low in fat.

A minimum 30-45 minutes brisk walk / physical activity of moderate intensity improves overall health.
Include 'Warm-up' and 'cool-down ‘periods, before and after the exercise regimen.
Forty-five minutes per day of moderate intensity physical activity provides many health benefits and weight loss.

Hope I answered your query. Let me know if you have any doubts.

Grace Abraham