Had genital warts. Colon cancer check up showed anal warts. What is the problem?

Jul 2012

I am a 65 year old male when I was younger I had genital warts now I went for a colon cancer check up and was told I might have anal warts. I have not had sex in that area. Do you think they can come back after all that time
Posted Mon, 15 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 9 hours later
Hi there.
How young exactly were you when you were diagnosed with warts? Were they serotyped back then & if so, what number did they ascribe to the warts eg HPV6/HPV18? When they say anal they mean there are visible growths on the external skin surface perianal orifice region or are these warts on the inside on the mucous membrane of the anal region? I understand you have not had anal sex. However, these warts may have been seeded easily by the fingers/rubbing/scratching/washing etc. It is possible for warts to remain dormant for ages before showing up when the immunity is down for some reason..even a mundane fever much alike another viral disease called herpes. But, my guess is that they were never completely irradicated in the first instance in either you or one of your partners'/spouse. No need to fear..with today's technology, they are easily addressed, typed & eradicated. Good hope have answered your queries. Cheers!
Follow-up: Had genital warts. Colon cancer check up showed anal warts. What is the problem? 20 hours later
doctor to answer your question i had the warts about 30 years ago in both places.
i had the same doctor do my colonoscopy 10 years go and no warts.
on his report he writs (presumed) perianal condylomata also under diagnosis codes he writes viral warts, unspecified.

he also told me to goto my dermatologist is that correct or do i go to a surgin i am confuused! Please help
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 6 hours later
Hi there.
The person to go to for any treatment in the region esp if condyloma accuminata was diagnosed is a DERMATOLOGIST.
Dont can recur & is easily treated as i suggested earlier.
Depending on the size, he/she will prescribe a cream/lasers/surgical excision & it will be over & done with in a jiffy under local anaesthesia. So relax.
Hope this has given you pointers to make an informed deciscion & all will be well soon! Do holler & let us know all is well. take care.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD