Had general anaesthesia. Started feeling emotional and sensitive. Is this common?

Hi Dr,
Ihad General Anaesthesia 24hrs ago for an ARthroscopy . . .Today I feel absolutely flat emotionally, and extremely sensitive,and I would say paranoid about my partners fidelity . I'm trying to hang on to reality but coupled with feeling exhausted also worryiong that I'm going to make a fool of myself. And I feel so very low . I had Oromorph also when in recovery suite .
Posted Wed, 31 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with an additional degree in cardiologist.
Your feeling low can be partly attributed to what doctors said after Arthroscopic examination about your knee.
After a general anesthesia for procedures which have gone for some time, such feelings are not uncommon. I will suggest, you wait it out. For any drug to be out of our system takes about 72 hours on an average so please give two days, still you feel the same feeling then it is not because of general anesthesia and you need to be concerned about. I am sure additional wait of 48 hours will help you a lot. Two questions I have a) Are you getting normal sleep after waking out of anesthesia? b) Did you in the past had such feelings?. Good Luck.
With Best Wishes
Dr Anil Grover
Medical Specialist & Cardiologist
MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Cardiologist)