Had gastro with diarrhea and vomiting. Developed a red measles like rash. Is this normal?

My son has had gastro with diaharea and vomiting for the last 5 days and now has developed a red measles like rash.H I have been to the GP who says it will clear but is the rash normal?
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Gastroenteritis is most commonly due to a viral illness especially in children.
The most common cause of gastroenteritis in children is the rotavirus.

This virus can result in what is called viral exanthem which is a rash that appears on the skin as a result of a viral infection. It can occur in many viral infections in children and this is one of them.

It will start to clear up within a week of complete resolution of his symptoms and will have no long lasting effects.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions