Had gastric band removed. Wound developed black shiny lump, punctured, brown blood flowed. Steristrip enough?

Question
I had a gastric band removed 13 days ago. The main wound which had been closed with steri strips, developed a black shiny lump which I accidently punctured and brown rather thickish blood flowed and flowed from it leaving a gaping hole in my stomach. I went to A&E where the doctor thought nothing of it, said there was another clot inside the wound, put on a steristrip and bandage and that was it. I have 2 questions.
1. Where would that brown blood have gone if the wound had healed over.
2. Are steri really suitable for such a XXXXXXX wound.
Posted Thu, 7 Jun 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

I would like to have a look at the wound.If possible do attach an image of it here.

I can understand the condition of the wound after having a look at it and opine specifically.

Anticipating your response,

Follow-up: Had gastric band removed. Wound developed black shiny lump, punctured, brown blood flowed. Steristrip enough? 15 hours later
I'm sorry I dont have facilities to send an image.

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 hours later
Hi again,

The brown blood is denatured clot.When ever any would is not closed properly there will be bleeding between the cut edges.This bleed becomes a clot which presented as a lump around it.It takes a day or two for the clot to get resolved due to enzymes in the blood.This resolved clot produces brown coloured blood as most of the haemoglobin in it is denatured.

Steri strips use is limited to small cuts only.The wound like you have needs suturing with a non-absorbing suture material.There are chances of formation of ugly scar due to dehiscence caused by steri strips. Do discuss with the doctor about the same.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.

Follow-up: Had gastric band removed. Wound developed black shiny lump, punctured, brown blood flowed. Steristrip enough? 9 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX
Thank you for anwering my question . Just one more point, the A&E doctor said he could see another clot inside the wound. The wound seems to be healin now with steri strips on what will happen to the clot that was inside.
Thanking you, Your great.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 18 hours later
Hi ,

Here to help you.

Need not worry the clot in the wound will resolve on its own after few days and do not pose any risk for future.

Hope I have cleared all your doubts.

Please accept my answer if it was satisfying with a review.

Wish you good health.

Regards.