Had gamma knife surgery for neuroma. Suffering bells palsy, floaters, light flashes in right eye. Why ?

Neurologist, Surgical
Hi I had gamma knife surgery 4 yrs ago for acoustic neuroma lost 80%hearingin rt ear also had breast ca in 2000 and was treated with cmf and radiation at same time had basal ca on rt nostril treated with radiation and returned this time MOHS was performed with PS follow up to make appearance of my nose best they could. Not Pleased with be lumpectomy scar or the scar on ry breast from augmentation to make both breasts proportionate. Anyhow if I want it fixed I have to pay and I was under that once you have cayou can choose to have breasts and a nose that doesn't make you look like a monster but was told no by insurance! My nose is extremely distorted and it is scary for anyone but small children especially stare, also would all this radiation have triggered my thyroid to go out whack(hypo) and could it have played a role in getting the AN? I have been having bels palsy in right side of face and now experiencing floaters and light flashes in rt eye,had tumor checked a yr after gamma knife surg and actually had gotten a tiny bit bigger but drs said it was swelling , haven't been back for 3 yrs for ct scan , MRI nothing and now I am worried all this stress about my disfigurement and the worry of this tumor are causing my health probs or maybe it is growing?

What do you think should I be having these problems I. E bels palsy, floaters light flashes in my rt eye?

do you think gamma knife was a good choice and don't sugarcoat it hear I have heard enough brand if I m gonna hear more because it will be free!

Also if I feel my reconstructive surgery makes me look like XXXXXXX Warnos shouldn't I have the right to at least a pleasing look?
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 23 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I've gone through your history in detail
First of all, I would like to address your symptoms of giddiness , flashing lights , scintillations, Bell’s, palsy etc .

1. Bell's palsy & these symptoms may be secondary to acoustic neuroma . I'd suggest you to get a repeat MRI brain to see actual effects of gamma knife radiation. Ideally, a MRI of the brain should be done after every 6 months after gamma irradiation

2. At times if the tumor increases in size, steroids are tried during initial stages

3. We also have the option of surgically dealing with the tumour if there is an increase in the size.

The radiation that you received has not contributed to the formation of acoustic neuroma. Also, gamma knife remains an excellent choice for the treatment of this tumour.

Regarding cosmetic surgery for nose/ breast disfigurement, all these can be tried if other symptoms improve.

My best wishes for speedy recovery

Dr Praveen K Nath XXXXXXX Consultant Neurosurgeon
Follow-up: Had gamma knife surgery for neuroma. Suffering bells palsy, floaters, light flashes in right eye. Why ? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX I will be getting an MRI within the next week, I am nervous that has grown and am confused that it would grow as i thought the gamma rays anialated the tumor and it was nuked so why then would it be growing?!!!and was told if that were the case surgery is much more difficult due to scar tissue and complications most likely will arise eyelid won't close still have bels palsy symptoms spinal fluid leakage paralysis speech problems very horrifying!! To say the least so I need the best surgeon around I live near the st XXXXXXX area but if need be will travel if need be what do you suggest. Around here the surgeon says he doesn't like to do the surgery after gamma so thatakes me very uncomfortable!! What do you suggest would you or a colleage do it?
Answered by Dr. Praveen K Nath 25 hours later

Thanks again for giving me this opportunity to answer your queries.

I understand your anxiety. Anxiety & nervousness is usual with all this history. But relax most of the acoustic neuroma which are gamma irradiated reduce in size. If repeat MRI reveals a shrunken tumour, you do not need surgery.

Even if surgery is needed all these post surgical complications (mentioned to you / read by you) are only seen in less than 5% cases. 95%cases do well even after surgery.

So take good care of yourself and get MRI brain as early as possible. You can plan for the re surgery only if needed.

Hope this answers your query.

Dr.Praveen k XXXXXXX XXXXXXX consultant neurosurgeon