Had gallstone surgery. Having abdominal pain. Suggest due to nerve damage. Have unusual tightening in stomach. Remedy for pain?

General Surgeon
I had gallstone surgery 3 mos. ago. Since then I have been in abdominal pain almost every day. Right now it is at the point where I can hardly stand to touch my own skin. My doctor thinks its a case of nerve damage, I have an unusual tightening in my stomach, and the pain is traveling to my back and lower hips. What can I do to relieve this pain.
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Peptic ulcer or bile ducts stone.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for the query.

I assume you have had laparoscopic surgery (so called "key hole"). This is a minimal invasive surgery where only small wounds are made in the skin. So the nerves damage is also minimal. You may have a numbness, slight pain of the skin in the wounds area, but not the abdominal pain and back pain. This is impossible.
In your case, few diseases needs to be ruled out.
1. First is a stone in bile ducts. It is possible that some stone has been left in the bile ducts and can give very similar to gallbladder pains (upper right abdominal pain, back pain, nausea). Stool can get white and urine dark.
2. Peptic ulcer. It is very common that gallstone pain is misdiagnosed as a real source of it is stomach. That is why some patients has no improvement after surgery. This disease gives upper middle abdominal pain, nausea, chest burning.
3. Back pain radiating to the hips can be also caused by doctor. Abdominal ultrasound, blood work, liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP,AP), urine analysis should be done at first. If all this tests will be negative, gastroscopy is a next step.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.