Had gallbladder surgery. Infected with ecoli bacteria and having abdominal pain. Concerned

Pulmonologist
Question
I had gallbladder surgery 9 wks ago starting 8 wks ago still ongoing ecoli bacteria infection greater then 100,ooo cfu/ml gram negative rods back to surgery xray team ran late tube slipped out is it posible that a sponge was left inside supine views of abdonmen mutiple densities seen within colon consistent with previously ingested radiopaque material bowel gas otherwise non specific surgical clips right upper quadrant noted

infection with abdominal pain is the term sponge left from what i stated up above?
Posted Tue, 23 Oct 2012 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 4 hours later

I think you need to have a blood culture and sensitivity testing. Always choose the antibiotics from the lists of sensitive antibiotics with the least MIC (minimum inhibitory concentration). Do a repeat ultrasonography (USG) of abdomen to look for any pent up pus there because that may be the cause of your persistent infection.

As far as chronic actually no need of drug therapy. But there are many long term complications of interferon alfa along with ribavirin with some success. Consult a gastroenterologist and take his opinion on these issues.

Its very unusual for your surgeon to leave sponge there. If this is the case then it is a criminal offence. But your CT report doesnot reveal it. If it was there it would have been detected.

Hope I have answered you. If you have further queries you can write back to me freely.

Wishing you quick recovery,
Rest Regards,
Dr Arnab Maji

Follow-up: Had gallbladder surgery. Infected with ecoli bacteria and having abdominal pain. Concerned 12 minutes later
Not sure I understand I have gone thru er three times and doctors they have done cultures tests and match me with antibodics only to find that they dont work anymore as for today im ill again three days ago iv antibodics worked but caused mild attack with my heart so what is the mutiple densities seen within colon consistent with previously ingested radiopaque material??

Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 32 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

The multiple densities within the colon are consistent with previously ingested radiopaque material. It can never be sponge for sure. You may have a repeat scan and if it is due to radiopaque materials then now it should not be there. By this way you can alleviate your anxiety to some extent.

Don't you have any underlying immunocompromised conditions like diabetes, prolonged steroid intake, HIV infection because presence of these may cause such persistence of infection. So go for fasting and post-prandial blood suger (FBS, PPBS), serum total IgG assay, ELISA test for HIV1 and 2 to exclude those conditions if not done yet.

Another point I want to mention here. I have seen from your report that there is calcified spot in the pelvic region which may be an impacted phlebolith causing this persistent infection. Discuss this issue also with your doctors. I think a repeat scan will really be helpful for you.

Hope I have answered you. If you have further queries dont hesitate to write back.

Wishing you quick recovery,

Dr Arnab Maji