Had gallbladder removed and hiatal repair. Smoke and have allergies. Having abdominal pain after coughing. Suggest?

I had my gallbladder removed and a hiatal repair on XXXXXXX 12th of this year. I smoke and have allergies, stupid I know, well about 10 minutes ago I coughed unexpectedly and muscus came up like normal but this time there was sharp pain on my left side ( where there is a bruise healing and a suture) now I cannot hardly move and there is pain but nothing on the outside ripped. Nothing seems swollen either.
Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 2 hours later
thanks for the query,

As you indicated, you had surgery a week and few days ago which implies the healing is still going on.
Coughing is an act that raises the pressure inside the abdominal cavity and it is likely that it is the pressure that has caused you the pains at the operation site which is still undergoing healing.

Possible complications could be a gaping of the sutured wound due to persistent or violent coughing but its not that yet.

Some pain killers such as paracetamol or codeine if the pains are too severe will help. However, if the pains persist after taking the pain killers or if the wound starts dripping, or you begin to feel weak or you abdomen begins increasing in size, you will need to see a doctor immediately.

Hope this answers your query. If you have further query, i will be glad to answer.

Best regards