Had gallbladder removed. Suffering from post colostomy bowel syndrome. What is causing this?

General Surgeon
I Had my gallblader removed 20 years ago. afterwards for nine years unable to stop the bowel movements, i was passing watery stools and haveing accidents when out shopping. I was recalled back to the hospital and was informed that due to a slight problem during the operation, i was now suffering from Post Colostomy Bowel Syndrome. No one at the hospital now seems to know what i am talking about.The person who did the op. put these word on paper for me and said he was so sorry for what happened.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 19 minutes later

What I understand from your query is that probably you had gall bladder surgery done 20 yrs back after which you were discharged and wernt told that anything untoward happened during the surgery. But post surgery you had symptoms of intestinal hurry for 9 yrs and then only your surgeon told that you are suffering from post colectomy bowel syndrome and this was because you had some complication during gall bladder procedure. Isn't it?

If this is true, what I make out is due to some complication during the surgery of gall bladder the surgeon had to take out part / all of your large intestine. And hence you are suffering from these symptoms like water stools etc as much of the gut in the body which absorbs water is not there anymore!!

I hope you understand this. Do let me know, if you want to know something else regarding this.

Dr Rajat Gupta
Follow-up: Had gallbladder removed. Suffering from post colostomy bowel syndrome. What is causing this? 23 hours later
If my large intestine was indeed removed or part removed, damaged, would this be visible on a hospital scan. I now have a letter in the post this morning, which states the scan shown no obvious problems with the digestive system. It also states my bowel symptoms would fit with take one colestyramine power a day. I was given these to take after the seeing the surgeon who said there was a problem in within the op. prior to that i was given other powders to take for I.B.S. Syndrome. which i had to take or nearly nine years. And these never did any good, i still could not stop the the lose bowel movements. Thank You for your time and care. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 2 days later

Sorry replying lateā€¦

What type of scans were done in hospital?
The problem you are having can only be confirmed by abdominal CT scan with oral contrast. I doubt these were done!

Also in your case when you have been told about such a complication which had occurred, and we know that this can cause the symptoms you are having, I doubt that you are suffering from IBS!!

I would suggest that you confirm the diagnosis by CT scan, and then if the symptoms are too debilitating, we can try surgeries too increase the transit time of your bowel!!

Hope this helps.

Dr Rajat Gupta