Had gallbladder removed. How long should I avoid heavy lifting and unnecessary efforts?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had my gallbladder removed via laparoscopic surgery 2 days ago, and I'm feeling great - all things considered (very low pain and no gastrointestinal problems so far). While I know there is a prudential period of time in which I should not lift anything too heavy or make any unnecessary efforts, I'm wondering what the case is with masturbation. Could you tell me, for how long should I remain abstinent?
Posted Thu, 6 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
For adults, a laparoscopic surgery usually involves a recovery period of up to 4 weeks before resuming normal strenuous activities. Although this recovery period may vary depending on the individual.
You can safely resume masturbation after 4 weeks.
After the surgical procedure, you must only eat pureed foods for 1 to 2 weeks. Then you can progress to soft foods and, in 4 to 6 weeks, return to the normal diet.
You are advised no heavy lifting for 4 weeks, chewing food thoroughly, avoiding carbonated beverages, gum, and smoking.
Avoid alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, chocolate or spicy or greasy foods and instead take cold foods preferably liquids like milk and yoghurt.
It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. You may also need antacids and proton pump inhibitor drugs for controlling the stomach acid.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.