Had gallbladder removed. Getting muscle pain in under rib-cage. What am I suffering from?

Question
I HAVE PAIN ON MY RIGHT SIDE FEELS LIKE A MUSCLE IS TRYING TO CLIMB UNDER MY RIBCAGE, IT IS VERY PAINFUL. SOMETIMES IT WILL LAST UP TO 5 MINS AND SOMETIMES JUST A FEW SECONDS, BUT IT TAKES MY BREATH AWAY AND I CAN NOT MOVE UNTIL IT GOES AWAY. WHAT ON EARTH COULD IT BE. HAVE ALREADY HAD MY GALBLADDER OUT. BUT IT IS JUST TO THE RIGHT OF WHERE MY GALBLADDER WAS.
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Fibromyalgia in itself is quite a challenging condition to treat for the doctors as the pain as you rightly have said is everywhere. This itself causes pain in virtually every muscle of the body including the intercostal muscles situated between the ribs as is evident in your case.

I cannot gauge, without examining you if the tramadol you are being given is enough in dosage or not. But, you must assess continuously and if you feel pain relief is inadequate - I am sure your doctor prescribing you tramadol will reassess you if you need further help.

Many recent medications apart from opioid group (tramadol etc) acting at the central nervous system level exist today which are promising in the relief of pain in fibromyalgia, you could also discuss this with the doctor.

Especially in the challenge in your case that the pain is getting multiplied also from the spinal disc pathology, and the abdominal status. Nevertheless, pain relief is your right and all doctors certainly will look into the fact of balancing the right amount and duration of those analgesics provided you report to them promptly.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
MBBS, MD.
Consultant Physician.