Had gallbladder removed. Eyes are yellow and have heart burn after eating. Worried about liver?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
hi! have had my gallbladder removed 4months but my eyes are still yellow and have bad heartburn after eating have scarring off the liver I am 68years old?
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Well,yellow eyes are caused by increased level of bilirubin and only sometimes it is caused by gallbladder issue. So obviously gallbladder disorder wasnt cause of your elevated bilirubine,and probably this is liver scarring(cirrhosis) but certain drugs may be used too. You should treat it primary by changing dietary habits,avoid alcohol, coffee,smoking,fatty food,fried food and hepatotoxic drugs(simvastatine may have bad effect too). Check your hepatitis viral markers and do liver ultrasound to evaluate your liver condition.
Heartburn is in most cases caused by stomach inflammation as seen in gastritis,gerd or hiatal hernia, you should do gastroscopy to verify this.
Wish you good health. Feel free to ask.