Had gallbladder out. Have hepatitis c. Took tylenol with codeine due to sore teeth. Any risk?

Jan 2013

i had my gallbladder out at twentyone.i learnt very early i couldnt drink alcohol or take tylenol with i have hepatitus c.i am 54.female and never used intavenus drugs.recently ive had a couple of drinks and tylenol with codeine because of sore teeth.can that cause my hep to flare up for the first time?please advise.
Posted Wed, 3 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Hepatitis C is a virus which in long run may cause chronic liver disease or cirrhosis.
Alcohol intake also causes damage of liver and simultaneous presence of hepatitis C with intake of alcohol may cause liver damage.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, liver function test, renal function test, HCV RNA and HCV virus genotype.

Presence of HCV virus doesn't mean liver damage. Although HCV virus has tendency to cause liver damage in future.
Very effective medicines and interferon injections are available in market for cure of HCV.

As such there is no correlation with codeine and liver damage.
Tylenol contains Acetaminophen and it may cause liver damage when it is taken > 20 gm at a time.

In my personal opinion, you should avoid alcohol for prevention of further liver damage.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava