Had gall bladder removed, complaints related to stomach, indigestion, lack of sleep and appetite. Suggest?

I do not have gall bladder since last one year. I have complaints related to stomach, indigestion and heaviness in stomach.
Lack of sleep, lack of appetite and lack of energy remains all the time. Please suggest a treatment and diet for me.
Posted Mon, 23 Sep 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Prasad 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Post cholecystectomy syndrome is likely...

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for sharing this concern here.

All your digestion related symptoms seems to be due to post cholecystectomy syndrome (PCS). This is a common complication of gall bladder where inefficient drainage of bile secretions results in pain, abdominal fullness/heaviness and indigestion. These symptoms are generally diet dependent. A high fatty diet causes more worse symptom than one with low fats. You should make sure your diet is low in fats; eat at regular interval preferably with small but frequent and less spicy food. Avoid smoking and alcohol if any.

PCS is known to improve with time. But rarely symptoms can persist for years together. I suggest my patient proton pump inhibitor like pantoprazole and daily exercise along with the aforementioned dietary changes. Your doctor will know about this drug.

If symptoms don't feel better with diet, exercise and proton pump inhibitor, we can start bile binding agent like cholestyramine for a brief period of time. This can be done under guidance of a competent gastroenterologist.

Should these conservative management fail to provide you relief, you should consider surgical interventions. Splincterotomy or bypass procedures are well known to treat this condition. It can be done by your previous surgeon.

Besides that, I would encourage you to get routine check up of hemogram, blood sugar and thyroid tested to know if there are any co-existing condition.

Hope this helps. Write back for clarification.