Had gall bladder removed. Scan showed bile duct slightly dilated. Have reflux. Need of endoscopy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had my gall bladder removed 6 weeks ago, then had very bad pain in both shoulders, had Mrcp? no stones left, but scan showed bile duct slightly dilated. Advised to go back to GP and request endiscope? As shoulder pains are going for 4-5 days then returning with a vengance and lasting anything form 1hr to 2days. Iv'e started taking Lanzarpzole as I had slight reflux, only just started this though. Any ideas?
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
The pain in the back and in shoulders after gall bladder surgery could be a referred pain from the mild irritation of the diaphragm. There is a continuously increased bile flow into the upper GI tract, which may contribute to esophagitis and gastritis, which presents with pain upper abdomen with a referred pain to the upper back.
Mild muscle soreness can be there as a side effect of the general anaesthesia. This is usually self limiting and subsides in few days.
Treatment is symptomatic and decreases with time, antispasmodics, or sedatives for pain. Antacids, H2 blockers, or proton pump inhibitors ( Lansoprazole) can provide relief for patients with such symptoms.

I advise you to avoid spicy food for few days and also smoking or drinking if you do. You can take over the counter mild pain killer for pain, and Gastritis, as it may present with symptoms explained by you, antacids will be helpful. Do take plenty of fluids orally to maintain a good hydration level.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Had gall bladder removed. Scan showed bile duct slightly dilated. Have reflux. Need of endoscopy? 19 minutes later
As I had the surgery 6 weeks ago, should this not have eased by now? Why/what would the endiscope be for? Thank you very much for your help.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 14 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The pain due to muscle soreness should have subsided by now. The endoscopy is indicated to rule out other causes like gastric ulcers or hiatus hernia which can cause such persistent pan like you are having.
It is best to wait for endoscopy results for further specific treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.