Had gall bladder removed. Having nausea, pain in back and abdomen. Due to stone in the bile ducts?

General Surgeon
Hi, I have had nausea, pain in my scapular area, occipital headache and pain in my upper right abdomen. I have
had my gall bladder removed. The pain feels like what I used to get with my gall bladder. Today I feel better after a bad day yesterday with nausea all day, pain in back and abdomen. Is it possible that I have had a stone in a bile duct and is it necessary to go to a doctor if I am feeling better? Thank you!
Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 30 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Yes, it is very possible that your symptoms are caused by stone in the bile ducts. Especially if you find this pain very similar to gallstones pain.
The main problem with stones in bile ducts is that it can obstruct pancreas duct also. In such situation, it can lead to acute pancreatitis.
That is why always when there is a possibility of stone in the bile ducts, medical attention is required.
Even if your symptoms went away, it does not mean that the stone is gone. It could just move to the place where it does not cause any pain.

That is why I suggest you to visit your doctor, have blood work, liver tests (AST,ALT,GGTP,AP), amylase, bilirubin, urine amylase and abdominal ultrasound. If there will be a sign of bile ducts obstruction, ERCP should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.