Had gall Bladder removed. Was thickened and infected. Why is there still pain on left upper abdomen?

Hi I have just had my Gall Bladder removed, the gall bladder wall was very thickened and infected.....I as far as I am concerned have not had any bouts of gall bladder attack, I however, have had terrible pain on my left upper abdomin, for years could this be it even although the pain was on the left? and after surgery (1 week) I am stiil having most of the pain on my left ...????...Please help.......xxxxxx
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 2 hours later

You have mentioned that you have had pains over the upper left of abdomen since many years. The gall bladder pains usually is present at the Right Upper Abdomen. Some times it can radiate to upper mid abdomen. Its not likely to be continuously present on the left side.

In all likely hood, the pain on the left side was not related to the Gall Bladder. More so, as the symptoms are still present even after gall bladder removal.

Upper Left Pain can arise from following reasons
1. Gastritis and Peptic Ulcer Disease
2. Left Renal Stone
3. Pancreas
4. Left sided colon
5. Muscles
6. Lower chest and lungs..

I would recommend that you undergo Endoscopy to rule out petic ulcer disease.
Ultrasound abdomen and Chest X XXXXXXX can evaluate other causes.

Since your pain has been for quite some time, its certainly not a serious disease. Although I agree, its quite a discomfort.

So please get yourself evaluated.

Hope this answers your query.

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran