Had fusions anterior discetomy. CAT scan showed incoproation of inervertbral graft at endplates and mininal posterior spondylitic. Help?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi i had a 3 fusions anterior discetomy 5 mths ago i can't swallow food... liquid comes up my nose if i drink to fast... now i can hear my self breathe out of my right ear.. i am still in pain my voice sounds so horase.... i had a barrium swllow showed the hardware was pressing on the espohgus... the cat scan showed incoproation of the inervertbral graft at the endplates and mininal posterior spondylitic ahnge on on c6-c7 the doc is reommneding surgery to remove the cage and screws he said the reason thisi shappening is casue i am to skinny
Posted Thu, 25 Jul 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
The difficulty in swallowing that you are having is likely to be due to the mild compression of the hardware compressing on the cervical part of oesophagus. The removal of hardware will decrease the pressure and will decrease the symptoms.
However the feeling that you are having could be related to anxiety or a lesion at the base of the tongue or upper end of the larynx. Hence, you require a thorough examination of the throat by an apt ENT specialist followed by telescopic laryngoscopy.
Taking a mild anti anxiety with a low day time sedation will also help in symptomatic relief. Do quit smoking if there is any and take oral lozenges like Strepsils to avoid any feeling of irritation in the throat.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Had fusions anterior discetomy. CAT scan showed incoproation of inervertbral graft at endplates and mininal posterior spondylitic. Help? 11 hours later
Ihave had the ent go in and there is no lessions or anythign else i cam clear from all that
all my reports are showing it is the hardware and the i also have numbness on the back between te shoulder blades and very bad headaches
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If you have had an ENT check up already then removal of the hardware will help in decreasing your symptoms.
The numbness in the back could be due to Vitamin B 12 deficiency. This can be taken care of by taking proper supplements. The headaches that you have are not likely to be related to your problem in the neck. You can consult a neurologist for a physical examination to detect the cause.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.