Had fusion surgery and woke up with pain in shoulder. Diagnosed with strap tear, which happened during surgery

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I had a c4 c5 fusion surgery. When I woke up in the recovery room, my greatest pain was in my right shoulder. The nurse said I was moved firing surgery and that the pain will go away. However, I was diagnosed with a strap tear. I know it happened during surgery. I need to find literature to prove that . Any suggestions?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
The pain you have after the surgery could be related to a minor muscular sprain. A tear of the muscles fibers or the damage to the XXXXXXX structures of the shoulder is not likely after a neck surgery.
You can get an MRI of your shoulder done to find out the exact pathology and damage in the area.
The surgical notes is the best way to know if there was any injury to your shoulder during the surgery or not. The causative relation of your shoulder pain with the neck surgery is difficult to prove on the basis of literature.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.