Had fundoplication surgery. Had problem in swallowing, having pain near voice box and sore to touch. Suggest?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
I am a 40 yr old male 5'7 180 I just had fundoplication surgery 3 -1/2 weeks ago. I ate a piece of beef that I didn't chew as well as I should have.I had difficulty swallowing it and struggled to get it down. Now I am having a lot of pain down near my voice box area and it very sore to touch as well as when swallowing.
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 38 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for the query.

if you don't have any breathing problems then this is nothing to worry about. Usually several week after fundoplasty patients experience some swallow difficulties till gastric muscle and esophagus adapt.
In that period you should eat more liquid food,chew enough, and try not to sit,but stand and walk after meal.
it now sounds like throat or and esophageal irritation due to this small incident that happened. And you should just drink plenty of fluids, warm mentha tea and lay with elevated upper body while sleeping. Avoid spicy food,coffee,cold drinks and smoking till pain subside. If you notice blood vomiting, breathing difficulties or symptoms persist for more than 2 days, you should visit doctor. Wish you good health. Regards