Had full blood count test and having anxiety. Any chances of having HIV?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Hello I just had a fbe and everything came clear and the doctor thinks I have very high anxiety from googling symptoms. If a fbc comes back with great results could I still have Hiv?
Posted Mon, 30 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
FBC can show variety of diseases.but it cant verify is HIV the exact cause of your symptoms. FBC can show is there elevation in inflammatory markers which may suggest any kind of infection,but FBC is not good test for HIV since normal FBC doenst mean that you are HIV neg. But also, HIV is rare and even if there is abnormal FBC, this is the last thing to think of. If you still suspect of HIV you should do HIV testing but at least 3 weeks after suspicious intercourse. Wish you good health.Regards
Follow-up: Had full blood count test and having anxiety. Any chances of having HIV? 19 minutes later
But if i had hiv something would come up in my fbc? Wbc? Lymps?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Yes, generally,there would be lower wbc,especially leukocyte count.
But HIV may cause symptoms even after more than 6-7 years from the infection and WBC becomes abnormal few years before symptoms occur. So in first few years afte infection,wbc may be normal and HIV infection cant be detectable without specific HIV tests.