Had frozen scallops. Been sick, bacterial infection in vagina. Why do I have night sweats? Stop lipidil due to itching?

January 30th I bought scallops from the store and fried them up. I am allergic to shellfish and have always been able to eat scallops. 8 hrs later I was vomiting and had diarrhea. One of the scallops looked pinkish while the others were the usual whitish color. The item was previously frozen and was on sale. I thought it was a good deal but I guess I was mistaken. I have been sick with nausea, diarrhea, weakness, fatigue, ever since. 3 weeks ago I had a full physical. The Doc put me on Flagyl for a bacterial infection in my vagina. I am on high blood pressure pills and synthroid. I have been on those drugs for many many years now. I am also sensitive to lactose and gluten so I have been watching very carefully over the last few years about eating those items. My nausea can come on at any time and I need to be near a toilet for the diarrhea. Sometimes my bowel movements are fine and other times not so good. Today, I was at my cottage and for 3 days had diarrhea and severe nausea. I noticed after wiping, that the color of the diarrhea was XXXXXXX I have been drinking lots of water and but eat anything as it just turns me off. Within a 2 hr period today I was in the outhouse maybe 12 times. In February, I ended up in the hospital via an ambulance ride. I was taking a lunch break down the road from the office building where I work, and was eating a banana with a XXX drink and all of a sudden all hell broke loose. Rigors set in, uncontrollable movements of my arms and my mouth, lots of stuttering, my finger tips and toes went numb, my heart rate sky rocketed and I thought I was having a heart attack. From the parking lot where I was, I managed to leave my car and walk to a medical clinic sharing a pharmacy. I stumbled into there foyer and sad down on a nearby chair. I ask the lady to call 911. While hospitalized I was given Zofran for my nausea and gravol. 3 days later I was discharged in the care of my best friend for another 3 days. So, I have violent episodes of nausea and diarrhea but this weekend, it's XXXXXXX so I haven't noticed this before. Some days are fine some days are not. I'm so tired of taking drugs for my nausea. I don't really have stomach pain, but once in awhile I do, it's off and on. Oh and last night I had a fever throughout the night because my pjs were soaked. I am 50 years old and am going through menopause as well accompanied with the usual hot flashes but last night wasn't the usual hot flash-it lasted the whole night. And, I have had those before as well. I don't have a thermometer and should probably get one just to see what happens to my temperature during those episodes. I get tested very regularly to make sure my prescription of synthroid is the correct one. My cholesterol is a little high and she put me on Lipidil 3 weeks ago, which I good a 1 week and got very itchy and didn't feel well so I stopped taking that drug. I also looked up the ingredients and they contain lactose, which I am sensitive to. I can't think of anything else to, what do you think Doc? XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Hello and thanks For the query.
I understand your concern and will try to address it.
Your history suggests that you are allergic to shellfish and sensitive to lactose and gluten and you repeatedly get bouts of food poisoning resulting in vomiting and diarrhea.
The food poisoning can be caused by various reasons like
Bacterial infection
Bacterial toxins
Non infectious and heavy metal poisoning

Almost all types of food poisoning result in nausea,vomiting,abdominal cramps and diarrhea however bacterial infections have associated fever and headache also.
For most people symptoms resolve quickly without treatment however for people diarrhea lasting less than 24 hrs is best treated by oral Replacement fluids consisting of right amount of salts,water and sugar,
If the symptoms are severe you require intravenous fluids.

Since you are repeatedly getting food poisonings ,it is advised that you observe following measures to minimize future chances of food poisoning
Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for 20 seconds before and after handling food,after using bathroom,after changing nappy and after touching animals.
Avoid using seafoods as you are allergic to shellfishes and had problems with scallops also.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any other query.
Thanks and best of luck.

Follow-up: Had frozen scallops. Been sick, bacterial infection in vagina. Why do I have night sweats? Stop lipidil due to itching? 11 hours later
I am very careful with washing foods and keeping areas where foods are being prepared very clean. Can it be that I have a bad bacteria in my gut and intestinal tract from the scallops? I'm thinking that the scallops were past their due date and that is what caused my food poisoning, because, I have eaten them in the past and they aren't of the crustacean kind which I am allergic to. My anus has been very very itchy as well and my doctor prescribed a cream. That hasn't helped. I'm also thinking that if I have a bacterial infection in me, this may be causing all kinds of allergic reactions and sensitivities to foods that I am only usually mildly sensitive to. I usually just put up with the odd reaction to foods that I ingest because I like eating them. But now, even just a small amount of sour cream on a potato almost kills me. Also, why would I be so sick for 2 days straight this past weekend for no reason that I can think of--can a bacterial infection last this long and attack me just about every other day for the past 2 months? The itchy anus is driving me nuts-why is this happening. I forgot to mention this in my original email. I was very tired when I wrote it last night. What about testing for worms?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 48 minutes later
Definitely,scallops were infected as you developed symptoms few hrs later.
Bacterial infection can't last for so long.
You may have intestinal worms and must get your stool tested for worms as you have additional symptom of anal itching.
Get yourself tested for hemoglobin and blood sugar also.
Avoid using toilet paper and use moist swipes.
Don't use soap or shampoo to clean your anus and use plain water only.