Had fractured foot, given injection to prevent DVT. No cast fitted due to swelling. Have burning toes. Suggest?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I fractured my foot almost a week ago - as I had to fly within 48 hours I was given injections to prevent DVT - hard cast has not been fitted yet due to swelling. My concern is that whilst elevating my leg I have intense burning in toes ( not broken one) which only eases when I lower my leg and place my foot on the floor
Posted Wed, 16 Oct 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Temporary compression over superficial nerve fibre

Detailed Answer:

However it is unusual to having burning pain on elevation of leg but it could occur due to temporary compression over superficial nerve fibres by the plaster slab or splint used for immobilisation.

On elevation of foot also do active toe movement to reduce the swelling and chances of burning toes. Taking methylcobalamin and gabapentin tablets will be helpful to reduce the burning pain.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and informative and I will be glad to answer any further query.
Follow-up: Had fractured foot, given injection to prevent DVT. No cast fitted due to swelling. Have burning toes. Suggest? 6 minutes later
Thank you - yes I've been doing active toe movement as suggested by the ER Ortho doctor - there is still some residual swelling, is this normal ?

I have splint fitted as the swelling was too great for a plaster cast ( I had to fly 48 hours after fall so this impacted on swelling ) - I'm hoping they will fit plaster cast tomorrow to aid mobility - how can I prevent further compression of nerves ?
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some residual swelling is normal

Detailed Answer:
Do not worry, some residual swelling is normal. To prevent further compression of nerves, continue doing active toe movement.
Swelling itself causes compression over nerve fibres. So as swelling decreases, further compression can be prevented.
Take seratiopeptidase preparation after consulting with your doctor. It will help to decrease the swelling.

If you have any questions I will be happy to answer.
Please close the query if you have no other questions.

Wishing you speedy recovery...