Had fracture of right occipital. On vertin for vertigo. Feeling giddiness and weakness. What precaution should be taken?

Neurologist, Surgical
hai my 11 year old son fell down from a height of 11 feet .he had a fracture of right occipital fracture with concussion injury om 19 may 2012.he was in icu for 72 hours but now he seems to be ok with a vertigo problem for which neirophysician has given vertin 16 mg twice a day .he still complaints about giddyness and weekness .my question is how much time will he take to recover completely when he can rejoin school what other precautions we should take.he also has body pains
thanks and regards XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Shivakumar S. Kupanur 11 hours later

From your history, it does not seem very serious condition. There are multiple causes for the vertigo. Usually it is due to Labyrinthitis, which is a self-limiting condition. Usually it settles over 6-8 weeks.

I suggest you to wait and watch. Dose of labyrinthine sedative (Vertin) can be increased after discussing with your treating doctor. Very high dose of Vertin or other procedures, which paralyses labyrith permanently, are other options, but reserved to intractable cases. I do not think your son needs any of these things. He will improve over the period of time.

If the vertigo is tolerable and not disturbing regular activities, he can join the school now also. Consult your doctor for detailed evaluation before he rejoins the school.

Give him low salt diet. You can also consult a Neurologist/ENT surgeon to teach him labyrinthine exercises. It will gradually desensitize the labyrinth.

I hope, I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries if any.