Had fracture below fifth metacarpal. Having wrist pain. Could this be related to fracture?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I broke my fifth metacarpal 2 different times over 15 years ago. Now I am having wrist pain on my outer part of my wrist below the fifth metacarpal. It has gradually increased to a pretty immobilizing pain at times. Could this be related to long term effect of those fractures
Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

Yes, the pain may be related to your old injuries.
- A fracture immobilized with a cast can result in some stiffness at the joint. If physiotherapy is not done properly after cast removal some stiffness persist for a long time. This can cause pain at a later date.
- Besides that, there could be possibilities of ligament injury at wrist during fracture of 5th metacarpal or degenerative tear of wrist ligament at ulnar aspect of wrist [triangular fibrocartilage complex tear (TFCT)].

Without an opportunity to examine your wrist, I am unable to narrow down the possibility to a single diagnosis. Therefore I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may need X-ray/MRI of the area affected under his/her guidance.

I hope this answers your query. I will be available for further guidance if you needed.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon