Had four back surgeries and treated for back pain. Diabetic and have Parkinsons disease. Could I take Epidural Spinal Stimulator treatment?

What can you tell me about Epidural Spinal Stimulator treatments. What are the cangers? What are the positive and negatives for someone who has had 4 back surgeries and every other kind of treatment for back pain? I also have diabetes, missing 1/3 of my pancreas and have parkinsons disease. I just need some information about the procedure and some results of the use of it.
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Analgesic on demand.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query.

It should be tried only patient on patient where all other methods of treatment has failed.

It is an analgesic on demand and it is invasive. So it carries risk of infection, bleeding and puncture of the dura.

There is a chance of disconnection and equipment failure.

It interacts with MRI, Ultrasound and pacemaker.

Having said that it is effective in 50 - 70 % of the patients.
It is also cost effective and the patient are able to return to work much earlier.

In the future this method is likely to be tried for the treatment of Parkinson's disease also.

In that case it may help you in chronic back ache and Parkinson's disease management.

Hope the answer helps you.