Had food poisoning, unable to urinate or defecate. What treatment should be done?

32 year old son, excellent health, recently had food poisoning. Light soup only past two days and now suddenly in pain and unable to urinate or defecate
Posted Sun, 20 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 2 hours later

Symptoms of food poisoning are vomiting and diarrhoea. It can be due soup or fried rice. Soup is not ideal after food poisoning. These two are the most common causes.

Difficulties in urination or constipation are not related to food poisoning. It may be related to either dehydration or effect of treatment. Also, if effect of toxin has finished there may be reflex constipation.

A better assessment and can be given after examination by physician. Still I think you must consult your physician for a better advice based on clinical scenario.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further concern please let me know.