Had flu and ear infection. Having squelching noise in ear with some hearing loss. Any thoughts?

ENT Specialist
I have a squelching noise coming from my left ear... It isn't too painful at the moment but it is affecting my hearing by muffling sounds. If I move my ear it is always there. It feels like trapped water. But I know it isn't. It's been present for on and off for a while but very mild. It has got much worse since 4 days ago!

I am also coughing up mucus, especially in the morning, it is white in colour and very thin in texture but tastes horrible. I have a slight cough throughout the day too. NO sinus pain at all is present.

I had an ear infection last July which needed 2 courses of anti biotics to clear it. I also had the flu over Christmas just gone. 2/3 weeks of very bad coughing and sneezing and lots of mucus coming from my chest area. I also had mild squelching in the ear during this time but it passed quickly compared to the other symptoms.

I don't feel like I've truly recovered from the flu but my GP dismissed me very quickly when I spoke to him 2 weeks ago.

Any thoughts?
Posted Sat, 2 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 59 minutes later

I have gone through your query regarding squelching sound in your left ear, and because of this sound, you have some hearing loss also. You have told about your ear infection also twice in the past.
I would like to tell you there is a long list of Tinnitus (unwanted noise)-
(1) Wax in ear.
(2) Infection of ear as - Otitis Media ( acute & chronic )
(3) Labyrinthitis - Infection of XXXXXXX ear ( bacterial & viral)
(4) Trauma -Injury of the ear
(5) Diabetic complication in ear.
(6) Noise induced tinnitus & hearing loss.
(7) Acoustic Neuroma - Tumour of nerve of ear, (8 cr nerve).
(8) Idiopathic (when cause is unknown)
In your case, infection is the most probable cause. You are advice for your Audiometeric testing to know about severity and type of hearing loss you have and also to know about prognosis (effect of treatment).

I hope your query is explained now.

With Regards.
Follow-up: Had flu and ear infection. Having squelching noise in ear with some hearing loss. Any thoughts? 5 hours later
So I need to see my GP again?
Do you think anti biotics would be the best corse of treatment?
Could the problem be linked to my chest producing mucus?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 9 hours later

Thanks for the follow up query.

As you said, consulting your GP or an ENT surgeon would be a wise decision.

In your case, antibiotic should give you excellent results. The fullness in the ear is probably due to the mucous production from the chest. The mucous from the respiratory tract comes to the throat whenever you cough, and thus throat gets infected from time to time. Since throat is connected to the middle ear via Eustachian tube, infection reaches the ear.

I hope your queries are answered and you will be satisfied. Let me know if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Had flu and ear infection. Having squelching noise in ear with some hearing loss. Any thoughts? 50 minutes later
Thanks again for your excellent reply.

1 more point of question....

2/3 weeks ago I had a Hopi ear candle treatment to clear my sinuses.
This worked very well and my sinuses have felt great since.

Could the draining of my sinuses have helped cause the problem too ... Either with my ear directly or indirectly via my chest and the mucus coming from it? The mucus tastes very metallic!

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. A.K. Srivastava 5 hours later

Drainage of mucous from sinuses are directly responsible for giving infection to ear. The throat is a common place where mucus from sinus and chest both comes and from here it may go to the ear via Eustachian tube.

I hope that should clarify.
With Regards.