Had flu. Getting spasm in the calves muscle. Not cured by medicine. Any suggestion?

Quick question.

My son aged 13 has had flu for the last 6 days. This morning he woke up and couldnx't walk because his calf muscles were in spasm. I took him to our gp and she prescribed amoxicillin for his chest but didn't seem that bothered about his calves. I have given him both paracetamol and ibuprofen. Tried to get him to eat bananas (in case it's a potassium deficiency) and given him electrolyte solution, but he's still in agony. There is no swelling in his calves. Any suggestions as to what else I can do?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later
The spasm in the calves can happen in case of viral infections like flu.
You can help the pain by-
Icing of hamstrings
Taking anti inflammatory drugs and local gel
Stretching of hamstrings by pulling both legs towards chest with hands below knees
Giving him electrolyte XXXXXXX drinks like oralyte.
Plenty of fluids orally. Dehydration can also cause these cramps. In case the pain persists then it is best to get some muscle relaxants prescribed from your physician.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.