Had fistulotomy completed. Have burning sensation and urge for urination, exacerbated by bowel movements. Suggest?

Jul 2016

I had a fistulotomy completed on XXXXXXX 21st, 2013. For the last 3 weeks, I have started to have a burning sensation and urge to go both before and after urination. This issue seems to be exacerbated by bowel movements. Could this be related to my surgery? Is there anything I can take over the counter to help with this?
Posted Fri, 6 Sep 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
This is not related to your surgery.

Detailed Answer:
You had undergone surgery of fistulectomy in XXXXXXX 2013 and now getting sensation of urge to pass urine before and after bowel movements.

The sphincter of Urethra and Anal sphincter have same nerve innervation by two separate branches of Pudendal nerve.During surgery of fistulectony there is injury to branch of the nerve that innervates the anal sphincter leading to constant irritation of the nerve.The urge to pass urine is due to irritation of branch of nerve that innervates sphincter of Urethra This is called as referred pain .
Do not worry this will get resolved gradually as the healing of the wound of fistulectomy will take place.
You do not need to take any medication for urge to pass urine.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask me I shall be happy to help you

Follow-up: Had fistulotomy completed. Have burning sensation and urge for urination, exacerbated by bowel movements. Suggest? 25 hours later
I had a fistulotomy, which I have been told is less invasive than a fistulectomy. Would this change the way you answered my question? I'm also concerned this issue came up a month after the surgery.
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No it is not going to change my version.

Detailed Answer:
Since you do not have have any other urinary symptoms like burning,increase frequency of urination it rules out any bladder infection or UTI .
Please consult qualified Urologist for detail clinical evaluation and to rule out any other pathology like Over Active Bladder which looks to me to be most unlikely.
Thanks and Regards.