Had fissure operation done. Getting mood swings and mental changes after taking duphalac. Normal?

hi, on nov 2nd i had a fissure operation after which i was advised to have duphalac for 3 months in dose of 15ml twice a day ie. 30 ml /day but recently i as it was not helping so my doctor advised me to increase the dose to 25ml in morning and 40 in the night.i did so but after 2.5 months i started to have mood swings and mental changes.... is it normal to have such mood/mental changes? without any valid reason i remain sad and fear also.....please help
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 2 hours later
Hi there,
Thanks for asking.
Using lactulose in the more than average doses could lead to hypokalemia. Hypokalemia can cause mood swings, fatigue and even depression. It is a very serious issue and many people feel that such medications are safe, while they should be used cautiously. Constipation is usually secondary to another issue or even a life style which is not very active or a diet which does not include fibers.
Another point is that fissure could be accompanied with IBS (it is a condition with a change in the bowel habit from constipation to diarrhea and it is exacerbated with mental functioning problems which are most of the time minor changes in the mood following the stress). It is a common problem which affects 7 to 8 percent of the population. Many people are not aware of their problem for a long time. Let your doctor know more about your situation because if your chronic bowel habit problem is related to the bowel function regulation, it may need some added therapy to respond better. IBS (if it is present) is an easily manageable situation with the lowest amount of medication or even life style changes. I wish you the best health.