Ask a Dentist   »  

Had filling in tooth. Feeling sensitivity when eating. Tingling face. What should I do?

I recently had a filling in my tooth. I wasn't happy so returned to the dentist a week later as I felt the filling was very far up the tooth and edges were sharp. The dentist added a little more filling and it felt smoother. However I feel the nerve is sensitive if I bite on something small like a pip from a strawberry or a crumb from toast. My face has also started to tingle. What should I do?
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar 21 minutes later

From the details you have mentioned, it is clear that your dentist has done underfilling of the tooth or did not smoothen/polish the restored surface.

In such conditions, chances of food lodgement, fracture of restoration due to high points and thereby can lead into secondary carries.

As you mentioned,the restored tooth can tingle even after re-filling it. Usually, the restored tooth will not be sensitive, unless there is peri-apical infection or restoration comes in contact with underlying pulp.

An x-ray of the restored tooth will help to diagnose the cause of sensitivity. Sharp edges of the tooth has to be smoothened as it can cause ulceration of cheek/lip. If the restoration is situated too close to pulp, then pulp therapies like pulpotomy/pulp capping has to be done. If there is periapical infection associated with the restored tooth, root canal treatment has to be done.
Meanwhile, avoid biting/chewing hard/solid foods with the restored tooth.
Maintain good oral hygiene.

I would suggest you to get the check-up and procedures as I mentioned above.

Hope this suffices.

Please feel free to ask further concerns if any.

I wish you good health.