Had fever, vomiting, nausea, stomach pain. Why does my stomach still feel sore? Is it stomach ulcer?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Three days (sunday) ago I had a fever followed by diarrhoea and vomiting. I also had sharp abrupt pains in my stomach all day and didn't each much food. For the fever I took 2 paracetamol pills every 4 hours until my fever went away. That night I vomited again.
On Monday, the day after, the stomach pains went away so I ate some bland food (egg and toast) and felt better, then I had some apples and a biscuit and vomited in the afternoon. Finally yesterday (Tuesday) I ate both breakfast and lunch (bland) without feeling sick, then I had some chips for dinner and I felt nauseas about half an hour later and vomited again an hour after that, once or twice I felt the sharp pains in my stomach.
Today I didn't eat too much and stuck to bland food (porridge and toast) and have not vomited but my stomach still feels "sore" and "bruised". I think I have a stomach infection or ulcer or some kind? I have drank water and stuck to bland food. In addition I have not passed a stool since my diarrhoea on Monday (day before yesterday) but I am assuming this is because I have not consumed much food.
Also (may be unrelated) but my right kidney feels a little "sore" since my fever. Any help/explanation and recommended medication I should take would be appreciated. Also, what food is okay and not okay to eat until I recover fully? Should I be more concerned??
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later

The description provided by you is suggestive of a gastroenteritis, stomach flu or food poisoning. It is normal to have a sore stomach and slight constipation after such an illness. You need be careful regarding your diet like you already are and you are likely to completely recover in 3-5 days. There is nothing to worry.

Avoid the following foods: Dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt, etc.), Cold drinks, Raw fruits and vegetables, fried & greasy food and fast food, spicy food, caffeine,etc.

You can take an over the counter available anti spasmodic for the intermittent stomach pains that you are having.

Slight soreness in the kidney might not be a related issue. Taking plenty of fluids might resolve it in a week.

If the renal pain is persistent then you need to consult your good health.
Follow-up: Had fever, vomiting, nausea, stomach pain. Why does my stomach still feel sore? Is it stomach ulcer? 7 hours later
Thanks for your reply. Is there anything I can take for the constipation or any food you would recommend that would help? thanks.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

Right now, I will not recommend any laxatives for you. The best would be a high fibre diet like- Prunes, figs, Psyllium husk, shredded wheat, flaxseed (oil), Senna, Cascara sagrada, Aloe vera juice, Dandelion root, Molasses, Liquorice, etc.

Also have plenty of fluids orally.

Hope my answer is helpful for you. Wish you good health.