Had fever and reported dengue fever. Have low platelet count, weakness and rashes. Suggest?

Hello, my brother had fever since 4th july and was reported dengue fever on last friday night. Platelet count was below 1.5 and he had high fever. After 3 days fever went away and platelet count came upto 1.7. He was released form hospital, but still has a lot of weakness. Now rashes have again started to appear and platelet count as gone as below as 1.16. Can you please tell me about this situation , precautions,medicines and how many days he may take to recover completely.
Posted Tue, 30 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 2 hours later
Hello XXXXX,
Dengue is a viral infection and in it's most serious avatar it causes hemorrhagic fever which can cause massive bleeding in XXXXXXX organs due to it's platelet destroying nature.
It also dampens the immunity of body just like other viral infection and causes prostration and weakness.
The platelets and total leukocyte counts need time to improve and must be monitored twice a week and if very low platelet should be transfused typically when below 0000/cmm.
Good hydration, balanced diet rest and B complex vitamin supplement are the key to success.
Most patients improve by 3rd week.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have any follow up queries or doubts, you can forward them for me, and I shall be glad to help you.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Follow-up: Had fever and reported dengue fever. Have low platelet count, weakness and rashes. Suggest? 5 minutes later
Why there is fluctuation in platelet count and why the rashes are appearing again?
Till when he will be able to his routine office work?
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 35 minutes later
Welcome back to Healthcare Magic Physician's Desk!
The fluction of platelets and WBC and rashes are feature of the viral syndromes and is totally unpredictable and is indicative of varying reactivity of the immune system.
He should not go to office till the Platelets are not more than one lac/cmm and TLC should be >4000/cmm and the rash goes off fully, appetite restores and weakness feeling subsides.
Wish you a great health!